Please try entering https://graph.facebook.com/436710216469459/photos?fields=source,link,name,images,album&limit=200 into your URL bar and seeing if the page loads.
The St. Vincent Trucking Company was created to solve unique problems in both small villages and large cities in the Congo.
In the villages:
- Farmers grow lots of food (ex. Bananas, cassava, plantains, rice)
- Farmers can’t sell extra food in the villages (supply > demand)
- Farmers have no vehicles to transport food to big cities
- As a result, they have no choice but to sell surplus food to middlemen (transporters) at very low prices
- Discouraged farmers have the capacity to grow more food but choose not to
- Farmers remain trapped in poverty
However, the OPPOSITE problem exists in the large cities:
- Large populations = significant demand for food
- High food prices
- Insufficient food production in and around the cities
- Demand > supply
- High transportation costs
- Poor nutrition of the urban poor
- Lack of fresh produce
- Significant problem among children
By simply providing mass, reliable transport from small, crop-abundant villages to large cities, we can not only drive down the high costs of food and malnutrition among children in these large cities, but also create a way for village farmers to sustain themselves and their families by growing these desperately needed crops. This project is unique from all others in that it begins solving problems immediately.
Below are pictures of the truck purchased by Father Joseph Kraker of St. Vincent-St. Mary Catholic church to start this program. You can download our brochure here – print it and share it with your friends, or share it to your Facebook timeline to get the word out: